Master of Arts (M.A.) in Sociology
NEW: Webinar for interested students
Are you interested in pursuing our English-taught Master of Arts in Sociology at the University of Mannheim, the best German University in Social Sciences in Germany (QS Ranking by Subject 2017)?
Join our webinar on 21 February, 2018, 11 a.m. (CET) by following this link and get useful information about the program structure, the School's empirical-analytical approach, application requirements and procedure, as well as information regarding social life and job opportunities at the University of Mannheim.
7 reasons to pursue your M.A. in Sociology at the University of Mannheim
- Best German University in Social Sciences and Management (QS Ranking by Subject 2017)
- The program builds on the School‘s strength in empirical-analytical approaches, quantitative methods and comparative research
- International Campus: international semester calender, large international student group and renowned international researchers and lecturers
- Close relationships with the GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences and the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES), the largest research institution for Social Sciences at a German university
- Study Abroad opportunities at one of our renowned partner universities worldwide, e.g. Indiana University, University of Haifa, University of Toronto, University of Bergen
- Career Support through the School's own Internship Office: You can be involved in a research project as a student assistant or as an intern and gain work experience while increasing your income
- Mannheim is a vibrant city, located in the
metropolitan Rhein-Neckar region. It is home to over 8,000 businesses, including several successful international companies, such as SAP and BASF
The M.A. Sociology degree program at the School of Social Sciences offers a two-year research-oriented education in an internationally renowned research university environment. The program builds on the school's strength in empirical-analytical approaches, particularly in quantitative methods and comparative research. The curriculum emphasizes training in empirical analysis that is firmly grounded in both theory and rigorous methods. Substantive areas of concentration include Family, Education & Work, Migration & Integration, Economy & Social Welfare State, and Social Inequality. All classes are taught in English.
The program is divided into seven modules: Sociological Research Fields, Foundations of Sociological Theory, Cross-Sectional Data Analysis, Longitudinal Data Analysis, Research Design, Research Project and the Master Thesis.
For more information, please take a look at "Degree Program".
Applied Research: An Extraordinary Learning Environment
The Department of Sociology co-operates with a number of research centers in the Social Sciences. These include the Mannheim Center for European Social Research (MZES), the recently established Collaborative Research Center SFB 884 on the "Political Economy of Reforms", and the Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (GESIS). This environment provides ideal opportunities for training in applied research by practicing cutting-edge Sociology in research teams. This approach allows students to co-finance their studies and to gain first-hand experience in nationally and internationally funded projects. Small classes and a low student-teacher ratio ensure that students benefit from a close mentoring by committed lecturers. The program prepares students for leadership positions in academia and scientific research centers as well as in public administration, the media, non-profit organizations and the private sector.
The Center for Doctoral Studies in Social and Behavioral Sciences (CDSS) offers PhD programs in Political Science, Psychology and Sociology in close collaboration with the School of Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim.
Admission is based on merit and open to excellent candidates holding either a research oriented Bachelor‘s or a Master‘s degree. Students admitted to the PhD program do not have to pay any tuition fees and will be provided with a scholarship.
Additional information on our Master´s degree program is available in this flyer.