Students interested in the full-time Bachelor's program should apply as detailed below.
Admission information for exchange students
Almost all of the
exchange students at the University of Mannheim come here through an
exchange programme offered by their home university. For more
information about your application, please contact the International Office
at your home university.
After successfully applying for an exchange with the University of Mannheim you will then be nominated for the study abroad programme.
Find out more about why studying in Mannheim offers one of the best exchange experiences in Germany here.
Admission information for international degree-seeking students
The Admissions Office is the central office for all applicants (German as well as foreign applicants). In order to apply for a Bachelor's program, interested candidates should complete the online application form, print and sign the forms, and submit them to the Admission Office between May 15th and July 15th. In addition, applicants are required to submit certified copies of official documents such as university-entrance diploma as detailed in the online application. International guidelines for grading standards will be applied. The International Office also provides a variety of information for international degree-seeking students on their website.
application selection is conducted by a committee of two full-time
lecturers at the department of Political Science. Selection is usually
completed by the beginning of August, and is based on a list of
- The average grade of the university-entrance diploma (equivalent to the German Abitur)
- The final grades in maths and english.
- Other achievements relevant to the intended study programme, e.g.:
- employment in the following areas: political parties and interest groups, public relations, journalism, public administration, consumer research, statistics, advertisement, human resources, youth work, social work etc.
- voluntary work in the following areas: church, theatre, sports, music, spokesperson at school, political party, council, public relations, homes for the elderly or disabled, youth organisations etc.
Proof of German language skills
The following proof of language skills are accepted:
a. All-German University Entrance Qualification
b. Completed Degree in a German study programme
If a. or b. are not the case, applicants need to pass one of the following tests:
- Test DaF, with an average of at least 4 points
- „Deutsche Sprachprüfung zum Hochschulzugang (DSH)“ passed with at least grade 2 (DSH 2)
- German „Sprachdiplom“ of the „Kultusministerkonferenz“ (DSD II)
- passed „Feststellungsprüfung“ at a „Studienkolleg“ of a German University or the University of Applied Sciences Konstanz
Applicants who can prove one of the following qualifications by sending in according certificates do not
have to additionally pass one of the above-mentioned tests:
- All-German University Entrance Qualification acquired in a state or region having German as official language
- Completed Degree in a German study programme acquired in a state or region having German as official language
- „Hochschulreifeprüfung nach der Ordnung der Prüfung zur Erlangung eines Zeugnisses der deutschen Hochschulreife an deutschen Schulen im Ausland, die zum Sekundarschulabschluss nach den Landesbestimmungen führen“
- Goethe-Certificate C2: „Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom“Report of the „Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP)“ of the Goethe-Institute passed at an Goethe-Institute in Germany or abroad before January, 1st 2012
- „Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom“ or „Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom“ awarded by the „Goethe-Institute“ by order of the “L.-Maximilians-University Munich passed before January, 1st 2012
Attending a German high school for one or two years is not sufficient proof of your language skills.